As a non-profit interested in supporting the next generation of ceramic artists, Watershed welcomes the opportunity to integrate undergraduate and graduate students into our Summer Residency – both as artists and as assistants. Through the Funded Assistantship Program, sponsoring colleges and universities cover a student’s residency fees at a discounted rate. In exchange, the student works twelve hours each week for Watershed during their time in residence.
Program Details & Eligibility
Prerequisites: Instruction is not provided during residency sessions. Students chosen for Funded Assistantships must feel comfortable working independently in a clay studio.
- The Sponsoring Institution selects a student to attend a summer session and covers the cost of the student’s two-week residency. Some institutions tap department or other summer program funds, while others have established an endowment or work with student art organizations to act as the sponsoring entity.
- The Student Assistant agrees to work for Watershed twelve hours per week while taking full advantage of the opportunities provided by the residency. Participants indicate the session theme(s) that they are interested in attending by submitting the online assistantship registration form.
- Placement in summer residency sessions for regular artists-in-residence is through a competitive, juried application process. Schools can guarantee placement in the residency experience for their student by participating in the Funded Assistantship program.
Registration & Timeline
- There are a limited number of Funded Assistantships available during the Watershed’s Summer Residencies and Sponsoring Institutions will register on a first-come, first-served basis.
- December: Sponsoring Institutions registration period begins
- January 30: Sponsor Institution registration deadline
- February 15: Student Assistant registration deadline
- March: Student Assistants are notified of their session placement. Watershed sends invoices to Sponsoring Institutions.
- May 15: Residency fees are due in full.
- May – August: Themed Summer Residency sessions occur.
|Discounted Student Assistantship||$1,690|
- The discounted assistantship residency fee covers housing in a double-occupancy room, meals, 24/7 studio and kiln access, and all other privileges afforded resident artists.
- Not included in the residency fees: travel, shipping, materials, and kiln firings. Artists pay material and kiln firing fees incurred through Watershed on a per-use basis on the last day of the residency session. They are also responsible for their own travel and shipping arrangements. Some Sponsoring Institutions choose to provide additional funding directly to students for these expenses.